Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)/unearned income-code v

social security is challenging whether the income from options received from 2000-2008 but exercised in 2010-2012 are earned income.  What documents/arguments can I present to show these amounts are earnings from an earlier period? On W-2 forms they are coded on box 12a as V. Thank you

wow. what part of the following was unclear?  and to not be a 10 for knowledge, I would have to be wrong, which I am not.. so what is up with that?  you simply dont like the answer?  

they are not earned in earlier periods (unless you made an 83b election)

you have (had) income when exercised in the periods so exercised.  SS is correct.  

Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)

Tax and general business including hospitality related (hotel mgmt degree and experience in industry prior to obtaining ms tax and cpa).

19 years cpa. ms tax. NOTE: My discussions are only a general information and do not constitute tax advise without entering into a specific agreement and executing an engagement letter; This free chat is nothing more than general information and should not be construed as tax advice nor does my response or replies imply an agreement to provide client specific advice or other guidance for purposes of avoiding IRS tax or penalties and should not be relied upon without your own validation and confirmation of the how the discussion may fit your facts... Not having all the facts and/or not having a direct client relationship prevents me from providing the most accurate replies as possible and I highly suggest using a local CPA to provide you with written advice and guidance. Taking matters into your own hands is much akin to trying to land an airplane without a license. It is easy to FLY a plane, but LANDING is when critical experience is key. In short, caveat emptor; do your homework and don't just rely on free chat board advice anywhere, anytime.

AICPA, CSCPA (Ct society), National Tax,

a bunch.

MS tax and other post graduate coursework

variety including Summa Cum Laude

I don't disclose or kiss and tell