Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)/Benevolence question

Question
We have a single parent in our congregation who is in great debt for thousands of dollars and as a result, is in a tight, financial situation since she has to pay toward this debt each month. Is our religious, non-profit congregation able to use benevolence funds to pay off half of this needy person's debt and the funds given be considered non-taxable, benevolence funds to her? Or must these funds given be considered taxable income to her for some reason and us have to give her a W2 or 1099? If the funds given must be considered taxable income, why is that?

Answer
M,

Thanks for your question.

The funds are not taxable income to the recipient. I would add tha if funds are given to the church designated for that individual and not to the general budget or the benevolence fund, the contributions are not deductible by the donor.

Hope this helps.

John Stancil, CPA

Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)

John Stancil, CPA