You are here:

Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)/church tax law - 501 C(3)


Our pastor wants the church to purchase a home for $375,000 with the church's equity and then the church will lease to own the property back to the Pastor.  It is my understanding that since the church is purchasing, the 20% downpayment will not be required and possibly thaere will be no property taxes.  Is this legal, especially since we are a 501 3(C) organization?

church may purchase land. no problem there.
church may rent house to pastor. no problem there.

if church rent at below fmv, then pastor has income, but he might be able to avoid recognition of income for the imputed gain by using parsonage exemption.  depending upon facts, should be no problem.

if parsonage, most locations allow for property tax exemption (as is the case where i am from - ct, but it is a town by town decision - not state level.  state provides for town to adopt, but it must take action)

good luck  

Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts




Tax and general business including hospitality related (hotel mgmt degree and experience in industry prior to obtaining ms tax and cpa).


19 years cpa. ms tax. NOTE: My discussions are only a general information and do not constitute tax advise without entering into a specific agreement and executing an engagement letter; This free chat is nothing more than general information and should not be construed as tax advice nor does my response or replies imply an agreement to provide client specific advice or other guidance for purposes of avoiding IRS tax or penalties and should not be relied upon without your own validation and confirmation of the how the discussion may fit your facts... Not having all the facts and/or not having a direct client relationship prevents me from providing the most accurate replies as possible and I highly suggest using a local CPA to provide you with written advice and guidance. Taking matters into your own hands is much akin to trying to land an airplane without a license. It is easy to FLY a plane, but LANDING is when critical experience is key. In short, caveat emptor; do your homework and don't just rely on free chat board advice anywhere, anytime.

AICPA, CSCPA (Ct society), National Tax,

a bunch.

MS tax and other post graduate coursework

Awards and Honors
variety including Summa Cum Laude

Past/Present Clients
I don't disclose or kiss and tell

©2017 All rights reserved.

[an error occurred while processing this directive]