Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)/estimated tax payments and a past balance due

Question
I have a rather substantial IRS balance from several years ago.  I didn't work for years and just started to again this year.  I am a subcontractor doing work for a contractor who will be sending me a 1099.
I want to send the IRS estimated tax payments for this year.  

Question:  If I do, will these payments stay on 2013, or will the IRS move them to the year with the balance on it?

Answer
Kristina,

Thanks for your question.

In theory, the payments will be applied to your 2013 taxes if you submit the estimated payments on a properly completed 1040-ES for 2013.  One can never guarantee what the IRS will do, however.  Most likely, they will apply it as you specify.  However, if you have a refund, they will apply it to the outstanding balance.

Hope this helps.

John Stancil, CPA

Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)

John Stancil, CPA