You are here:

Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)/Innocent spouse rule applies??


My now ex husband had a business that he ran into the ground and did not pay his business tax and some payroll tax. My name was not on the business and I was not aware of what was going on until I answered a phone call from the IRS. Since then they have put a lien on the house. During the time that he was not paying taxes, I inherited money from my mother that I put into improving the house. Had I known what was going on I sure would not have spent inheritance money on a joint asset. Is it possible for me to keep my portion of the house equity starting with the inheritance, when the house is sold?  Would the innocent spouse rule apply?  Btw, once I found out what was going on, I stopped filing a joint return and for the next 2 years, before the divorce, I filed married and separate.

you should be safe..  what does the divorce decree say about old taxes and the house equity. ?

are you still in the house? he moved out?  divorce is now final?

what does lien say as to years in issue. ?

this is not something to leave to a free chat board. you need highly competent advice and counsel with someone local who has done this sort of IRS representation before.  

where are you located?

Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts




Tax and general business including hospitality related (hotel mgmt degree and experience in industry prior to obtaining ms tax and cpa).


19 years cpa. ms tax. NOTE: My discussions are only a general information and do not constitute tax advise without entering into a specific agreement and executing an engagement letter; This free chat is nothing more than general information and should not be construed as tax advice nor does my response or replies imply an agreement to provide client specific advice or other guidance for purposes of avoiding IRS tax or penalties and should not be relied upon without your own validation and confirmation of the how the discussion may fit your facts... Not having all the facts and/or not having a direct client relationship prevents me from providing the most accurate replies as possible and I highly suggest using a local CPA to provide you with written advice and guidance. Taking matters into your own hands is much akin to trying to land an airplane without a license. It is easy to FLY a plane, but LANDING is when critical experience is key. In short, caveat emptor; do your homework and don't just rely on free chat board advice anywhere, anytime.

AICPA, CSCPA (Ct society), National Tax,

a bunch.

MS tax and other post graduate coursework

Awards and Honors
variety including Summa Cum Laude

Past/Present Clients
I don't disclose or kiss and tell

©2017 All rights reserved.