You are here:

Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)/paying caregiver/employee taxes


I'm not positive this is in your realm, but I think it might be. We have hired a caregiver for my mother. We are withholding FIT, SS, and Medicare taxes as appropriate. I can't seem to figure out how the IRS would like us to send these payments - I do understand the forms I need to file in April.

I would like to send the taxes in on a quarterly basis, so there isn't a lump sum to send in in April. I need to know if this timing is acceptable, and how I would go about making these payments electronically.

I have visited the IRS web site and spoken with someone there, but I'm still unclear on these two questions. If you can help, I'd appreciate it!

Andrea - Washington State


Thanks for your question.

You can make quarterly payments by going to and enroll to make those payments.  You can report the taxes on Schedule H as a part of your 1040.  This schedule is to report earnings paid to household employees.  I presume the caregiver qualifies.  Estimated payments should be made by the 15th of April, June, September, and January.

You will also need to complete a W-2 at the end of the year.  This is a good site that will prepare the W-2 and make required filings of  the documents.

Hope this helps.

John Stancil, CPA  

Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


John Stancil, CPA


I can answer questions on personal income taxes, partnerships, and some corporate income taxes. I can deal with some state tax questions. Limited gift and estate tax questions. I am also familiar with ministerial and church tax reporting issues. I am Professor Emeritus at Florida Southern College. Sales taxes and property taxes are state and local issues so I am not likely be be able to give you an in depth answer on those types of taxes. I have maintained a CPA practice, specializing in tax, for over 35 years. I am a member of the National Association of Tax Professionals, The Florida Insititute of CPA's, The NCPE Fellowship. In addition I am a Certified Mentor for SCORE. Visit my website at I also offer seminars and consultations to churches and clergy on their tax issues at Also visit my blog, I am listed on Tax Connections at Prepare and file your own taxes at


I hold a doctorate in Accounting, and am a CPA. My certifications of CIA, CFM, and CMA are inactive. I passed all certification examinations on the first attempt, and received honorable mention for my scores on the CIA exam. I have operated a CPA firm for over 37 years and have taught accounting and tax at the college level for over 35 years.

FICPA, NATP, NCPE Fellowship, Lakeland Business Leaders

The CPA Journal, Florida CPA Today, Green Consumer, Green Business, Global Sustainability as a Business Imperative, Palmetto Review, NATP TaxPro Quarterly, Mustang Journal of Finance and Accounting.

DBA University of Memphis MBA University of Georgia BS in Accounting Mars Hill University

©2017 All rights reserved.