Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)/paying caregiver/employee taxes

Question
I'm not positive this is in your realm, but I think it might be. We have hired a caregiver for my mother. We are withholding FIT, SS, and Medicare taxes as appropriate. I can't seem to figure out how the IRS would like us to send these payments - I do understand the forms I need to file in April.

I would like to send the taxes in on a quarterly basis, so there isn't a lump sum to send in in April. I need to know if this timing is acceptable, and how I would go about making these payments electronically.

I have visited the IRS web site and spoken with someone there, but I'm still unclear on these two questions. If you can help, I'd appreciate it!

Andrea - Washington State

Answer
Andrea,

Thanks for your question.

You can make quarterly payments by going to www.eftps.gov and enroll to make those payments.  You can report the taxes on Schedule H as a part of your 1040.  This schedule is to report earnings paid to household employees.  I presume the caregiver qualifies.  Estimated payments should be made by the 15th of April, June, September, and January.

You will also need to complete a W-2 at the end of the year.  This is a good site that will prepare the W-2 and make required filings of  the documents.  https://www.eagleviewfiling.com/customer-login.asp.

Hope this helps.

John Stancil, CPA  

Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)

John Stancil, CPA