Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)/is tuition deductible?

I am a licensed clinical social worker and would like to pursue a doctorate in a mental health discipline. The schools that are most affordable are psychology programs. I have no intention of becoming a psychologist, but would like a better understanding of testing and to sharpen my clinical skills. The schools in question are not APA accredited and would not be recognized for purposes of licensure as a clinical psychologist in my state. Would the tuition be deductible? Would the answer be different if the doctorate was in social work- a discipline for which a master's degree is the only requirement for licensure in all 50 states?

The key is "does the additional education qualify you for a new job?" It does not matter that you do not intend to work in that field, but only use it for improving your new job skills.  For example, as a CPA in the tax area, I would be greatly benefited by obtaining a law degree.  But a law degree qualifies me for a new profession, even if I don't ever take the bar exam or practice law.  So it is not deductible.

You can get a limited benefit by taking the lifetime learning credit.

Hope this helps.

John Stancil, CPA

Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)

John Stancil, CPA

I can answer questions on personal income taxes, partnerships, and some corporate income taxes. I can deal with some state tax questions. Limited gift and estate tax questions. I am also familiar with ministerial and church tax reporting issues. I am Professor Emeritus at Florida Southern College. Sales taxes and property taxes are state and local issues so I am not likely be be able to give you an in depth answer on those types of taxes. I have maintained a CPA practice, specializing in tax, for over 35 years. I am a member of the National Association of Tax Professionals, The Florida Insititute of CPA's, The NCPE Fellowship. In addition I am a Certified Mentor for SCORE. Visit my website at I also offer seminars and consultations to churches and clergy on their tax issues at Also visit my blog, I am listed on Tax Connections at Prepare and file your own taxes at

I hold a doctorate in Accounting, and am a CPA. My certifications of CIA, CFM, and CMA are inactive. I passed all certification examinations on the first attempt, and received honorable mention for my scores on the CIA exam. I have operated a CPA firm for over 37 years and have taught accounting and tax at the college level for over 35 years.

FICPA, NATP, NCPE Fellowship, Lakeland Business Leaders

The CPA Journal, Florida CPA Today, Green Consumer, Green Business, Global Sustainability as a Business Imperative, Palmetto Review, NATP TaxPro Quarterly, Mustang Journal of Finance and Accounting.

DBA University of Memphis MBA University of Georgia BS in Accounting Mars Hill University