Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)/DCG&T IRA Beneficiary

Question
Hello! Thank you for reviewing my question.

My 62-year old mother is in the process of inheriting two IRAs from my dad who recently passed away, one of which is an IRA he inherited from his parents. One is valued at about $20,000 and the other at about $25,000. Each IRA is presently invested in securities.

Please advise me how the IRAs should be titled once my mother has possession of their assets. I have tried researching this independently and have read that the way an IRA is titled can impact both the rights of the beneficiary and tax consequences. We have asked the representative handling these accounts, but he was not at all clear about how he intended to retitle them, and didn't seem to know much about tax consequences, mandatory withdrawals, etc.

Therefore, I am seeking your advice. Thank you for any help you can provide.

Answer
Alex,

Thanks for your question.

Since it is an IRA inherited from a spouse, she can:
1. Treat it as her own by designating herself as the account owner. This will not change the name of the account.
2. Treat is as her own by rolling it over to her own IRA.
3. Treat herself as the beneficiary rather than treating is as her own.

Hope this helps.

John Stancil, CPA

Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)

John Stancil, CPA