Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)/Form 8863

Question
Greetings from New Hampshire.  The instructions for The American Opportunity Credit seem unclear to me.  I completed secondary education and got a bachelors degree many years ago, but now I am pursuing another bachelors degree in a different field.  I have never taken the Hope or American Opportunity credit before.  Can I take it now.  I meet all of the other requirements, but this part about having completed 4 years of secondary - is that all-inclusive forever or just pertaining to this later degree program?  Thanks.

Answer
Larry, thanks for your question.

Unfortunately, that is all inclusive.  Once you have completed four years of college, you are no longer eligible for the AOTC.  You may be eligible for the lifetime learning credit, however.  Not as good as the AOTC, but better than nothing.

Hope this helps.

John Stancil, CPA

Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)

John Stancil, CPA