Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)/Car allowance

Question
A company has traveling employees who are required to use their own cars for business purposes. The company reimburses them via car allowances only, accountable method. The car allowance is less then what would be mileage reimbursement. All employees agree as part of their employemnt that they will use their cars, will drive up to specified number of miles per year and receive monthly car allowance amount. Does the company car allowance have to match IRS mileage rate times the number of business miles driven? Could the company be challanged? How would it differ in CA? Thank you

Answer
Have you documented all of this? that the employees have agreed? that the policy is set in writing? Resolutions, agreements, etc.

If that is the case then it is completely valid. Reimbursements to employees cannot exceed government limits, or if they do, then the excess is attributable as income. But there is nothing disallows it being less than Government limits.

So the IRS won't care. Does that mean that an employ can't make an argument "that they deserve more"? Nothing keeps them from trying. All they have to do is find one area in which you are lacking support and that would be the area of attack.

Most business owners aren't ready for an attack, they haven't fortified their defenses.  Mostly that is in compliance and documentation.

California might be more conciliatory toward the oppressed worker, and given an opportunity, might be more likely to find a way for you to compensate all of your employees, as compared to maybe North Dakota.

In either state, if you have all the proper agreements and documentation, then you are protected.  

Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)

Richard Fritzler