Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)/Deductions for conference host

Question
I present educational conferences for broadcasters. As part of our program, a luncheon and cocktail reception is included. Someone recently told me I can only deduct 50% of food/bev. costs.  Numerous top CPAs' have told me it's quite the contrary. That given these concessions are part of a complete ticket that ALL associated f/b is deductible.

Considering the fact that all registration is claimed as income, the later would certainly seem true. Plus, the fact that an attendee can claim a full deduction.

Where in the tax code can the CPAs' opinions be supported?

Answer
This is a good example of why you need to manage your own tax issues.

The CPA's that say that only 50% of meals are deductible are correct. http://www.irs.gov/publications/p535/ch11.html

But your situation doesn't fit squarely into the bucket regarding your meals during the normal course of doing your business.

You are not expensing a meal against other sources of revenue. You are in the business of providing meals and are simply purchasing and reselling a product (food), as part of a bigger package of services.

Consider a restaurant, hotel, Bar/Club. Do they only get to deduct 1/2 of the costs of their food purchases?

Again, There are a lot of interpretations, The above is only one. It is only the right one of YOU feel that YOU can justify it as a REASONBLE AND NECESSARY BUSINESS EXPENSE. That is the IRS' verbage, and the responsible party. Everyone else's opinion doesn't matter, including an auditor, CPA, EA, Tax Preparer, Bookkeeper, brother-in-law, neighbor.

CAN YOU JUSTIFY IT?

Then you can take it as a deduction. If you can't then you shouldn't. No matter that someone else thinks they can.

Richard Fritzler

Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)

Richard Fritzler