Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)/employer paid retirement plan

Question
My former employer had a retirement plan that automatically received employer contributions. I never, and couldn't, contribute to it. It was separate from the 401k plan. What exactly are those plans? Will I be taxed on the money if I roll that to a Roth IRA? I'm trying to understand if that money is taxable to me and when. Thanks.

Answer
taxed when you take it out or receive it.  you cannot (generally) roll it into a Roth -- but if you do, it would still be taxable upon the rollover/conversion and then grow tax free and distributed to you tax free in the future.  

ask employer when you can receive it. how old are you? how long separated? what is the amount in the plan.  you might be able to claim or receive the money early under certain circumstances.

what is your accrued benefit?  

Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)

MEdusa