Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)/NYC and Tax Questions

Question
Hello

Does NYC have an income tax? If they do does it apply to employees who do not live in NYC but live in Pennsylvania?

If they do have an income tax withholding for non residents do you know what that rate is?

I do see that I would have to pay NY State taxes even though I was not a resident and use an earned income for PA. Since PA is less than NY I assume I will not owe there, but wondered if there was a city wage tax for non residents.

Thanks

Answer
Mike,

Thanks for your question.

NYC does have a state income tax, or payroll tax.  I don't know the rate but it applies to all earnings within the state.

You will be subject to income tax to the states of NY and PA. As a PA resident, you will get a credit for taxes paid to NY.  I would add that you are only subject to NY taxes on your earnings in NY.  If you have other income, such as interest, dividends, or other income you do not report that to NY.  Use a NY non-resident form.

Hope this helps.

John Stancil, CPA

Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)

John Stancil, CPA