Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)/NYC and Tax Questions

Does NYC have an income tax? If they do does it apply to employees who do not live in NYC but live in Pennsylvania?

If they do have an income tax withholding for non residents do you know what that rate is?

I do see that I would have to pay NY State taxes even though I was not a resident and use an earned income for PA. Since PA is less than NY I assume I will not owe there, but wondered if there was a city wage tax for non residents.

Thanks for your question.

NYC does have a state income tax, or payroll tax.  I don't know the rate but it applies to all earnings within the state.

You will be subject to income tax to the states of NY and PA. As a PA resident, you will get a credit for taxes paid to NY.  I would add that you are only subject to NY taxes on your earnings in NY.  If you have other income, such as interest, dividends, or other income you do not report that to NY.  Use a NY non-resident form.

Hope this helps.

John Stancil, CPA

Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)

John Stancil, CPA

I can answer questions on personal income taxes, partnerships, and some corporate income taxes. I can deal with some state tax questions. Limited gift and estate tax questions. I am also familiar with ministerial and church tax reporting issues. I am Professor Emeritus at Florida Southern College. Sales taxes and property taxes are state and local issues so I am not likely be be able to give you an in depth answer on those types of taxes. I have maintained a CPA practice, specializing in tax, for over 35 years. I am a member of the National Association of Tax Professionals, The Florida Insititute of CPA's, The NCPE Fellowship. In addition I am a Certified Mentor for SCORE. Visit my website at I also offer seminars and consultations to churches and clergy on their tax issues at Also visit my blog, I am listed on Tax Connections at Prepare and file your own taxes at

I hold a doctorate in Accounting, and am a CPA. My certifications of CIA, CFM, and CMA are inactive. I passed all certification examinations on the first attempt, and received honorable mention for my scores on the CIA exam. I have operated a CPA firm for over 37 years and have taught accounting and tax at the college level for over 35 years.

FICPA, NATP, NCPE Fellowship, Lakeland Business Leaders

The CPA Journal, Florida CPA Today, Green Consumer, Green Business, Global Sustainability as a Business Imperative, Palmetto Review, NATP TaxPro Quarterly, Mustang Journal of Finance and Accounting.

DBA University of Memphis MBA University of Georgia BS in Accounting Mars Hill University