Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)/Overseas tax


We currently live overseas, my wife and kids are planning to move back to the US for my son's education, but I will stay overseas. I need to know the tax implications please. and what would be the proper way to file tax in this case. I may need to send her money to support herself and the kids, as she will not be working. So, many questions come to mind such as: Is it better that we file jointly or separately? Can I keep my overseas tax exemption? How about the money I send to her, is it taxable from her side? ... etc

Hi Mostafa, since you will continue to reside overseas, you will continue to be eligible for the foreign earned income exclusion as long as you qualify under either the bona fide resident or physical presence test. The move of your spouse and kids has no impact on your eligibility as long as you otherwise qualify.

There is no tax implication of the support funds that you send to her.

Please take a moment to review the content on our website and learn about why we are a great option for your tax needs – since we are a team of Enrolled Agents with over 25 years of experience and we focus on the taxation of US taxpayers living abroad.
If you would like a quote, please click on the link below for a free quote:
If you have any questions not answered through our website, please let me know via email.

Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Randall Brody, EA, MBA, CCP


Tax Samaritan is a boutique firm specializing in the preparation of taxes and the resolution of tax problems for Americans living abroad, as well as the unique tax issues that apply to taxpayers that are gamblers, teachers, nurses and military.


Get Expert U.S. Tax Preparation Wherever You Live We Built Our Company By Helping People With Their Tax And Financial Goals We can make a difference for you too! Tax Samaritan is a highly specialized boutique firm of Enrolled Agents providing tax solutions and wealth management for U.S. taxpayers with a special focus on assisting Americans living abroad. We strive to make U.S. tax preparation both accessible and easy for our clients. If you’re a U.S. citizen and live abroad, it’s likely that you still need to file a U.S. tax return and we can help make this an easy process for you. Our tax and financial services are very straightforward. We want to help solve your tax and financial issues and enhance your financial situation.

National Association of Enrolled Agents, National Association of Tax Professionals

Enrolled Agent (EA) Certified Compensation Professional (CCP) University of Phoenix: Masters of Business AdministrationCalifornia State University, East Bay: Bachelors of Science, Finance.

Past/Present Clients
We have served thousands of clients worldwide in the last 20+ years.

©2017 All rights reserved.