Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)/Overseas tax

Question
Hi
We currently live overseas, my wife and kids are planning to move back to the US for my son's education, but I will stay overseas. I need to know the tax implications please. and what would be the proper way to file tax in this case. I may need to send her money to support herself and the kids, as she will not be working. So, many questions come to mind such as: Is it better that we file jointly or separately? Can I keep my overseas tax exemption? How about the money I send to her, is it taxable from her side? ... etc

Answer
Hi Mostafa, since you will continue to reside overseas, you will continue to be eligible for the foreign earned income exclusion as long as you qualify under either the bona fide resident or physical presence test. The move of your spouse and kids has no impact on your eligibility as long as you otherwise qualify.

There is no tax implication of the support funds that you send to her.

Please take a moment to review the content on our website and learn about why we are a great option for your tax needs – since we are a team of Enrolled Agents with over 25 years of experience and we focus on the taxation of US taxpayers living abroad.

If you would like a quote, please click on the link below for a free quote:

http://www.taxsamaritan.com/home/getting-started/tax-quote/

If you have any questions not answered through our website, please let me know via email.

Randall

Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)

Randall Brody, EA, MBA, CCP