Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)/Questions on Rental Property

Question
Hi John,

My husband and I are possibly relocating to CA from PA for employment purposes. We currently own a home in PA (have owned since 2007) and are interested in understanding the tax repercussions/impact on our personal finances if we decide to rent our home since our mortgage is currently upside down.  I have three specific questions about this.

1. I understand that we can deduct mortgage interest, real estate taxes, insurance, homeowners association dues, repairs and depreciation.  My question is how long can we rent the property before the IRS would consider it a rental property and we would lose the exclusion of gain on sale of a personal residence.  In other words how long do we have to rent it before we take a loss on any gain from selling the property as a personal residence.

2. My other understanding is that we can take a passive loss up to $25,000 if the expenses of the rental exceed our rents.  However, couples filing jointly who's gross income is above $150,000 are limited on the passive loss amount.  We are estimating a gross combined income of $225,000... would we be too far above the income limit to actually deduct any passive loss?

3. Finally, if we do end up renting the property for the a length of time that it becomes a rental property what would be taxes we would have to pay for the rental property.

Thank you for your help!

Answer
Kendra,

Thanks for your question.

1. It is a rental property from the first day it is rented.  However, you do not lose the exclusion of gain until you have not lived in it for 24 of the prior 60 months as your main home.  The item here that often trips people up is if they default on the mortgage. Once it is a rental, the house is no longer their primary residence and you would not qualify to exclude the cancellation of debt income.

2. You will not get and deduction for the loss at that level of income.

3. You would pay tax on the gain if sold outside the 24 month window.  Gain would be the difference in the adjusted basis and proceeds of the sale.  For rental purposes, it would be depreciated at the lower of its FMV or cost basis and any depreciation would be used to reduce the basis.

Hope this helps.

John Stancil, CPA  

Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)

John Stancil, CPA