Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)/Capital loss carry over limit?

Hello, my question relates to how many years I can carry over my capital loss. I am single. I read that I can claim up to $3,000 per year but cannot carry past two years from the original loss.

So for instance, if I posted a loss of $55,000 in 2012. Broke even in 2013, but posted a gain of $55,000 in 2014. Will I be taxed on my $55,000 gain or does the loss carry over and pay no tax on it?

Or does the $3,000 keep carrying over for the next 15+ years? This is all a bit confusing. Thank you!

Thanks for your question.

The loss carries forward indefinitely until it is used up or the taxpayer dies.  You apply the loss to capital gains +$3,000 each year.

So in your example you take $3,000 loss in 2012, $3,000 loss in 2013, and use the remaining $49,000 in 2014 to offset the $55,000 gain.  If you don't have the gain, keep applying $3,000 loss each year.

Hope this helps.

John Stancil, CPA

Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)

John Stancil, CPA

I can answer questions on personal income taxes, partnerships, and some corporate income taxes. I can deal with some state tax questions. Limited gift and estate tax questions. I am also familiar with ministerial and church tax reporting issues. I am Professor Emeritus at Florida Southern College. Sales taxes and property taxes are state and local issues so I am not likely be be able to give you an in depth answer on those types of taxes. I have maintained a CPA practice, specializing in tax, for over 35 years. I am a member of the National Association of Tax Professionals, The Florida Insititute of CPA's, The NCPE Fellowship. In addition I am a Certified Mentor for SCORE. Visit my website at I also offer seminars and consultations to churches and clergy on their tax issues at Also visit my blog, I am listed on Tax Connections at Prepare and file your own taxes at

I hold a doctorate in Accounting, and am a CPA. My certifications of CIA, CFM, and CMA are inactive. I passed all certification examinations on the first attempt, and received honorable mention for my scores on the CIA exam. I have operated a CPA firm for over 37 years and have taught accounting and tax at the college level for over 35 years.

FICPA, NATP, NCPE Fellowship, Lakeland Business Leaders

The CPA Journal, Florida CPA Today, Green Consumer, Green Business, Global Sustainability as a Business Imperative, Palmetto Review, NATP TaxPro Quarterly, Mustang Journal of Finance and Accounting.

DBA University of Memphis MBA University of Georgia BS in Accounting Mars Hill University