Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)/Depreciation for Water Heater in Residential Rental

Question
Dear MEdusa,

I have been renting out a residential home since 2009.  Last year, 2013, I replaced the water heater for $950.  I read that I cannot treat this as a repair.  How do I depreciate the water heater on my tax form?  How do I choose the number of years of asset life?  Can I choose MACRS 200% Declining Balance to maximize my deductions now?  Thanks for your help.

Michael

Answer
hi michael

if you have a residential home... means you have a few extra dollars to pay a cpa to do your taxes...  I only charge $500 a return. depending upon where you live, you could even do better at HR Block.  

I am serious.  I wonder what else you are not doing correctly.

I went to the IRS website and found the answer in 2 minutes...  are you lazy or just stupid?

seriously.  

Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)

MEdusa