You are here:

Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)/Depreciation for Water Heater in Residential Rental


Dear MEdusa,

I have been renting out a residential home since 2009.  Last year, 2013, I replaced the water heater for $950.  I read that I cannot treat this as a repair.  How do I depreciate the water heater on my tax form?  How do I choose the number of years of asset life?  Can I choose MACRS 200% Declining Balance to maximize my deductions now?  Thanks for your help.


hi michael

if you have a residential home... means you have a few extra dollars to pay a cpa to do your taxes...  I only charge $500 a return. depending upon where you live, you could even do better at HR Block.  

I am serious.  I wonder what else you are not doing correctly.

I went to the IRS website and found the answer in 2 minutes...  are you lazy or just stupid?


Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts




Tax and general business including hospitality related (hotel mgmt degree and experience in industry prior to obtaining ms tax and cpa).


19 years cpa. ms tax. NOTE: My discussions are only a general information and do not constitute tax advise without entering into a specific agreement and executing an engagement letter; This free chat is nothing more than general information and should not be construed as tax advice nor does my response or replies imply an agreement to provide client specific advice or other guidance for purposes of avoiding IRS tax or penalties and should not be relied upon without your own validation and confirmation of the how the discussion may fit your facts... Not having all the facts and/or not having a direct client relationship prevents me from providing the most accurate replies as possible and I highly suggest using a local CPA to provide you with written advice and guidance. Taking matters into your own hands is much akin to trying to land an airplane without a license. It is easy to FLY a plane, but LANDING is when critical experience is key. In short, caveat emptor; do your homework and don't just rely on free chat board advice anywhere, anytime.

AICPA, CSCPA (Ct society), National Tax,

a bunch.

MS tax and other post graduate coursework

Awards and Honors
variety including Summa Cum Laude

Past/Present Clients
I don't disclose or kiss and tell

©2017 All rights reserved.

[an error occurred while processing this directive]