Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)/Disability code 3 on 1099-R

Question
I was working at Publix and late in Feb I went into the hospital for congestive heart failure. When I got out I never could return to work. I filed for SS Disability on March 6th. It went through and I was approved the first time. I had an ESOP which Publix had given me and they are going to send my 1099-R and 1099-B for this. I don't think they marked code 3 for disability on these. Will I still be able to claim it with proof? I didn't officially cash them out until May.

Answer
Carolyn,

Thanks for your question.

There is no disability code for the 1099-B, as the reason for such a code is to enable you to avoid the 10% penalty for early withdrawal.  You will need to have Publix reissue the 1099-R for a disability exception code.

Hope this helpd.

John Stancil, CPA

Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)

John Stancil, CPA