Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)/Filing married

Question
John, my daughter lives with her boyfriend in Texas. They have lived together a little over 1 year and have a child together. They are not married. Can they file a federal tax return together as married? Thank you.

Answer
Ed,

Thanks for your question.

They cannot file as married unless they are married or reside in a state that recognizes common law marriages and they comply with the state laws.

Texas is one of those states, calling it an "informal marriage."  Under § 2.401 of the Texas Family Code, an informal marriage can be established either by declaration (registering at the county courthouse without having a ceremony), or by meeting a three-prong test showing evidence of (1) an agreement to be married; (2) cohabitation in Texas; and (3) representation to others that the parties are married. A 1995 update adds an evidentiary presumption that there was no marriage if no suit for proof of marriage is filed within two years of the date the parties separated and ceased living together.

Hope this helps.

John Stancil, CPA

Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)

John Stancil, CPA