Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)/home office deduction

Question
I am a sole proprietor of a Drywall installation business.
I have a office in my home and two cold storage areas outside of the house. A shed and 1/2 of the front porch. The storage areas contain mostly tools and some materials. All three are exclusive use areas. I am not sure how to separate the two areas. The storage does not use electricity, gas, etc...

Answer
Joe,

Thanks for your question.

The storage areas are not office space, so I would simply put them on as depreciable assets - Storage shed or Storage area.  Assign the shed its actual cost or an allocated cost as part of the basis of the house if it was purchased with the house.  Allocate the porch a portion of the cost of the house or other basis.

Hope this helps.

John Stancil, CPA

Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)

John Stancil, CPA