Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)/oversea employee tax


QUESTION: If I am hire to work in Sri Lanka  , I will be pay $8000.00 a month .
The company may send me to NY or other country as their representative , so I may not pass the  330 days physical resident test . Will the days I send out of Sri Lanka  not be count ?   
When I stay in Sri Lanka , all the expense such as food , transportation , medicals , are they something I can have deduction ?
The ticket that I spent to come back NY once a year , is it deductible ?
Guestimate what %tax I will  be paying ?

ANSWER: Aloof,

Thanks for your question.

The days that you are physically present in a foreign country do not count. Travel days to and from the US do not count nor do any days in which you are in the US.

None of those items are deductible. travel to NY is not deductible.  

I cannot estimate your percentage of tax, as I know virtually nothing about your income level.  Rates range from 15 - 39.6%

Hope this helps.

John Stancil, CPA

---------- FOLLOW-UP ----------

QUESTION: My income will be $8000.00 per month , then what the % will be ? ty

If you are able to exclude the maximum amount of the foreign earned income exclusion, you will have no tax liability.

If you can't use the exclusion, you liability depends on your marital status, filing status, itemized deductions (if any) and any dependency exemptions.  If you're single taking the standard deduction, your federal income tax liability would be approximately $20,000 and you would be in the 28% bracket.

Hope this helps.

John Stancil, CPA

Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


John Stancil, CPA


I can answer questions on personal income taxes, partnerships, and some corporate income taxes. I can deal with some state tax questions. Limited gift and estate tax questions. I am also familiar with ministerial and church tax reporting issues. I am Professor Emeritus at Florida Southern College. Sales taxes and property taxes are state and local issues so I am not likely be be able to give you an in depth answer on those types of taxes. I have maintained a CPA practice, specializing in tax, for over 35 years. I am a member of the National Association of Tax Professionals, The Florida Insititute of CPA's, The NCPE Fellowship. In addition I am a Certified Mentor for SCORE. Visit my website at I also offer seminars and consultations to churches and clergy on their tax issues at Also visit my blog, I am listed on Tax Connections at Prepare and file your own taxes at


I hold a doctorate in Accounting, and am a CPA. My certifications of CIA, CFM, and CMA are inactive. I passed all certification examinations on the first attempt, and received honorable mention for my scores on the CIA exam. I have operated a CPA firm for over 37 years and have taught accounting and tax at the college level for over 35 years.

FICPA, NATP, NCPE Fellowship, Lakeland Business Leaders

The CPA Journal, Florida CPA Today, Green Consumer, Green Business, Global Sustainability as a Business Imperative, Palmetto Review, NATP TaxPro Quarterly, Mustang Journal of Finance and Accounting.

DBA University of Memphis MBA University of Georgia BS in Accounting Mars Hill University

©2017 All rights reserved.