Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)/Question About Rules Governing Who Can Claim a Dependent

Question
I have a non-standard household arrangement, in that I am married but we as a couple also have a female partner who lives with us and with whom I have a child who was born November 28, 2013. My question is this:

We were planning on our partner claiming him, but since we made more money in 2013 than she did, we thought we should find out if we should claim him since it would be more financially advantageous to our family as a whole (all 4 of us!) As I understand it, since she and I are not married but are living together and share expenses for child care as well as custody of our son, if she and I agree that I will claim him as a dependent on my taxes and she will not, there should be no issues with the IRS, is that correct?

A further question about that is that since my wife and I file jointly with my wife as the primary on our tax return, and the baby is my son and not hers, will that cause problems if I claim him as a dependent?

Answer
John,

Thanks for your question.

If you provide over half the support and the child lived in your household for over half the year (while he was born), you can claim the child as a dependent.  The fact that it is not your wife's child is not an issue in this case.

Hope this helps.

John Stancil, CPA

Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)

John Stancil, CPA