Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)/refund for FICA tax on severance pay

Question
QUESTION: Am currently receiving severance until Feb 7 due to job layoff.

I have read about a case (United States v Quality Stores) currently circulating in the courts and the IRS about the taxability of severance income.  For now, employers continue to withhold all relevant taxes from severance pay until the case and its appeals are settled (might even go to Supreme Court).  

Employers are advised to file a protective claim for the employer's portion of the FICA tax to avoid missing the statute of limitations (which I believe is 3 years).

My question is, how do I go about filing a claim with the IRS to get a refund of the employee portion that's being withheld from my severance paychecks?  Is there a form?

ANSWER: Trey,

Thanks for your question.

In order to file a protective claim, file a Form 1040X with a changed 1040 attached, along with any other forms that change.  In the explanation, state that you are filing a protective claim in relation to withheld taxes from severance pay. Be as specific as you can.  At the top of the 1040 write "Protective Claim in Regard to taxes withheld on Severance Pay."  Submit the amended return to the address you normally file a 1040.

Hope this helps.

John Stancil, CPA

QUESTION: What do you mean by "in the explanation"?  Should I attach a cover letter?  And if I haven't filed my 2013 return yet, what should I do?  File 2 2013 returns at the same time? My guess is that if I use Turbotax, I should just file 1 return with that, and then manually file a 1040x.

Answer
If you will look at a 1040X, you will see a box for making an explanation of the changes you are making. File your regular return, then file the amendment at least a month after you file the original.  Otherwise the IRS may get the X form first, and get confused.

The X must be filed manually.

John Stancil, CPA

Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)

John Stancil, CPA