You are here:

Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)/Social Security Benefits and Claiming and Dependent


Hi John,
Here's the situation:
A 17-1/2 year old boy who receives Social Security due to the death of his father. His parents have been divorced for 15+ years and the mother is now listed as the "representative payee". This young man also receives regular income in his name from several sources:
1. Commissions from his father (insurance agent) now split equally into his and his adult brother's names.
2. Part-time job, retail employment

This SS money is used for expenses such as phone, car, health and car insurance, etc and then the mother uses the rest for her household expenses.
The young man uses his own income for clothing, food, leisure, etc.
Is the mother eligible to use the young man as an exemption and claim him as a dependent. My research leads me to believe that he should be able to claim himself, due to his income level being close to the $10,000 mark not including the Social Security money.
And he clearly provides more than 1/2 of his financial support between these jobs and the Social Security.
He will be filing his own return for his income from the part-time job and will receive a 1099 for the commission income. I was hoping that he could claim himself to help offset the commission income that has not had taxes withheld.
Thank you

It still might be more advantageous financially for mom to take

Have to compare with and without for both

Also need to confirm mom can claim based upon her relative other inputs.  Which if he only gets 10k in income - house value etc should cover it
Also the value of health insurance provided.  

But t is a question to look at in unison - not in a vacum

Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts




Tax and general business including hospitality related (hotel mgmt degree and experience in industry prior to obtaining ms tax and cpa).


19 years cpa. ms tax. NOTE: My discussions are only a general information and do not constitute tax advise without entering into a specific agreement and executing an engagement letter; This free chat is nothing more than general information and should not be construed as tax advice nor does my response or replies imply an agreement to provide client specific advice or other guidance for purposes of avoiding IRS tax or penalties and should not be relied upon without your own validation and confirmation of the how the discussion may fit your facts... Not having all the facts and/or not having a direct client relationship prevents me from providing the most accurate replies as possible and I highly suggest using a local CPA to provide you with written advice and guidance. Taking matters into your own hands is much akin to trying to land an airplane without a license. It is easy to FLY a plane, but LANDING is when critical experience is key. In short, caveat emptor; do your homework and don't just rely on free chat board advice anywhere, anytime.

AICPA, CSCPA (Ct society), National Tax,

a bunch.

MS tax and other post graduate coursework

Awards and Honors
variety including Summa Cum Laude

Past/Present Clients
I don't disclose or kiss and tell

©2017 All rights reserved.