Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)/Social Security Benefits and Claiming and Dependent

Question
Hi John,
Here's the situation:
A 17-1/2 year old boy who receives Social Security due to the death of his father. His parents have been divorced for 15+ years and the mother is now listed as the "representative payee". This young man also receives regular income in his name from several sources:
1. Commissions from his father (insurance agent) now split equally into his and his adult brother's names.
2. Part-time job, retail employment

This SS money is used for expenses such as phone, car, health and car insurance, etc and then the mother uses the rest for her household expenses.
The young man uses his own income for clothing, food, leisure, etc.
Is the mother eligible to use the young man as an exemption and claim him as a dependent. My research leads me to believe that he should be able to claim himself, due to his income level being close to the $10,000 mark not including the Social Security money.
And he clearly provides more than 1/2 of his financial support between these jobs and the Social Security.
He will be filing his own return for his income from the part-time job and will receive a 1099 for the commission income. I was hoping that he could claim himself to help offset the commission income that has not had taxes withheld.
Thank you

Answer
It still might be more advantageous financially for mom to take

Have to compare with and without for both

Also need to confirm mom can claim based upon her relative other inputs.  Which if he only gets 10k in income - house value etc should cover it
Also the value of health insurance provided.  

But t is a question to look at in unison - not in a vacum

Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)

MEdusa