Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)/Tax for IRA early withdrawl.

I have few questions about taxes for early IRA withdrawal. I closed three IRA accounts last year for a home down payment. It was about $15,000 altogether. $5,000 I contributed last year was part of them. I have never claimed that $5,000 contribution to IRA and it was after tax contribution I guess since I deposited that money after I already pay taxes through my pay stubs.

My question is will I have to pay any tax for that $5,000 even though it was after tax contribution. I heard that I do not need to pay taxes for a after tax contribution.

I read that upto $10,000 is exempt from any early withdrawal penalty for first home buyers. The bank took penalties even for $10,000 when I withdrew them. Will IRA refund these if I claim them?

The last question is do I have to make another $5,000 contribution for last year if I want to reduce my tax or will I be able to claim last year's withdrawn $5,000 money for that purpose?

Thanks for your question.

Since you withdrew the $5,000 before the end of the year of the contribution, it is as if it did not happen.  No penalty, and obviously no deduction.

To get a deduction you would have to contribute new money.

You will get a Form 1099-R showing the withdrawal and the funds withheld.  These withheld amounts will be reported on your 1040 as payments, similar to withholding on a pay check.

You will have to complete Form 5329 to avoid any penalties.

Hope this helps.

John Stancil, CPA

Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)

John Stancil, CPA

I can answer questions on personal income taxes, partnerships, and some corporate income taxes. I can deal with some state tax questions. Limited gift and estate tax questions. I am also familiar with ministerial and church tax reporting issues. I am Professor Emeritus at Florida Southern College. Sales taxes and property taxes are state and local issues so I am not likely be be able to give you an in depth answer on those types of taxes. I have maintained a CPA practice, specializing in tax, for over 35 years. I am a member of the National Association of Tax Professionals, The Florida Insititute of CPA's, The NCPE Fellowship. In addition I am a Certified Mentor for SCORE. Visit my website at I also offer seminars and consultations to churches and clergy on their tax issues at Also visit my blog, I am listed on Tax Connections at Prepare and file your own taxes at

I hold a doctorate in Accounting, and am a CPA. My certifications of CIA, CFM, and CMA are inactive. I passed all certification examinations on the first attempt, and received honorable mention for my scores on the CIA exam. I have operated a CPA firm for over 37 years and have taught accounting and tax at the college level for over 35 years.

FICPA, NATP, NCPE Fellowship, Lakeland Business Leaders

The CPA Journal, Florida CPA Today, Green Consumer, Green Business, Global Sustainability as a Business Imperative, Palmetto Review, NATP TaxPro Quarterly, Mustang Journal of Finance and Accounting.

DBA University of Memphis MBA University of Georgia BS in Accounting Mars Hill University