Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)/Tax Question on Church Purchasing a Car for the Pastor

Question
Our church purchased a New car for our Pastor and his wife in 2013.  There is some confusion on how to properly address the cost and how to report the car to the IRS.  The car cost just short of $25000.00, and was paid for out of the church general fund.  Two church members wanted to contribute towards the purchase of the car, so after the car was purchased the two members each paid for 1/4 of the car which was deposited back into the church general fund account.  We are not sure how to report this on the pastors W-2 for the year.  Does the total amount of the car have to be reported on the pastors w-2 or because it was a gift to the pastors wife as well, do we report 1/2 of the cost of the car on his w-2.  The car is in the pastors name, not his wife, or the church's name.  Please let me know the proper reporting procedure, and where on his W-2 we would report the amount.  Thank you

Answer
Tammy,

Thanks for your question.

The car is considered compensation to the pastor, even if it is a gift to both he and his wife.  She received it because of the position held by her husband.  The cost of the car is reported in box 1 of the W-2, along with his regular salary.

Hope this helps.

John Stancil, CPA

Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)

John Stancil, CPA