Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)/Tax on rental income for mon residents

Question
I just purchased a rental property in California and I live in Minnesota full time.  What is the basic idea on how my rental income will be taxed in California?

For my normal rental property in MN I subtract expenses and depreciation to reduce my taxable income. I would also include my California property income/expenses in this too.

How would it work in California on the state income tax form?  I don't want to be taxed twice on the same (California) rental income.  So how does it work?

Thanks
Jeff

Answer
Jeff,

Thanks for your question.

Basically you report the rental income in CA on a CA non-resident return. Report everything on your MN return.  MN will give you a credit for tax paid to CA, but you will have to show it on your MN return.

Hope this helps.

John Stancil, CPA

Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)

John Stancil, CPA