Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)/Working in different states

Question
I have my main residency in South Carolina (wife there , working, etc) I have been working in Arizona for the last 6 months and getting ready o return to SC. I still have car registration and DL in SC....my employer however needed a local address and I am staying with family. So, state withholding I am sure has been paid to Arizona. Can I have this changed? Do I need to file in both states with slpit income? Just looking for some guidance. Thanks

Answer
Brian,

Thanks for your question.

You can have the withholding changed, but you will have to file an AZ return.

You will have to file in SC as a full year resident, reporting all your income to SC.  You can take a credit on the SC return for taxes paid to AZ.

Because you earned income while physically in AZ, you will have to file a non-resident return in AZ, reporting the earnings you received from working in AZ.

Hope this helps.

John Stancil, CPA

Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)

John Stancil, CPA