Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)/401k

Question
Hi William,
I was employed for 32 years with my former employer before I was terminated in February.  I have a 401k still managed by them.

After a couple of months being unemployed, I have a new job but they don't offer a 401k.  

My question is, can I contribute a lump sum to my 401k in December from my savings account and still have the income tax benefit that I had when my former employer was making deductions from my weekly paycheck?
Thanks,
Lou

Answer
no

you cant do a super stuff 401k if they dont offer.

you can do a roth or regular ira.

just for jollies. do you have employer (ex) stock in the 401k?  with increased value over basis? if so, I just earned my 6pack of beer :)

send new question and mark it private if you do have company stock in the 401k

and, can i talk to your employer about offering them a 401k?  it is easy to set up and costs them NOTHING (they save the matching tax on the reduced wages).

same point - private question NEW ONE not reply to this. i will give you my contact information.

p

Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)

MEdusa