Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)/401k and taxes

Question
Hi John,
I was employed for 32 years with my former employer before I was terminated in February.  I have a 401k still managed by them.

After a couple of months being unemployed, I have a new job but they don't offer a 401k.  

My question is, can I contribute a lump sum to my 401k in December from my savings account and still have the income tax benefit that I had when my former employer was making deductions from my weekly paycheck when I file my taxes for 2014?

Thanks,
Lou

Answer
Lou,

Thanks for your question.

Unfortunately, a 401(k) is always tied to your employer and you can only make contribution to the plan as an employer.  As an employee, your options for a retirement plan are limited to a traditional or Roth IRA, with a maximum annual contribution of $5,500 unless you are age 50 or greater, then the limit is $6,500.  The limit is a total amount for all types of IRA's.

Hope this helps.

John Stancil, CPA

Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)

John Stancil, CPA