Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)/amendment and form 982

Question
I filed my taxes on turbo tax this year.  I did include two 1099c for cancellation of credit card debt.  I mailed those in separate with a copy of my tax return and the form 982, as I am insolvent. IRS didn't accept it and sent me the bill for the cancellation of debt tax.  However, they said I can file an amendment and attach form 982 with it.

I saw a cpa yesterday and he didn't even know what form 982 is.  Upon reading the instructions, he assured me he can file it for me.

I just want to double check his work.  What is the proper way to do this?  Will I need to include the cancelled debt as income on my amendment 1040x?  Will my 1040x reflect that I do owe the tax?  

Thanks

Answer
James,

Thanks for your question.

If you included the 982 with your original return, I do not understand why the IRS did not accept it, unless the form was not completed properly.

First, if the CPA did not know what a Form 982 was, I would find another CPA. This is a very hot topic right now, and a tax preparer who is not familiar with a 982 is not up to date on the tax laws. Either that, or he has a very limited practice and this is out of his area of expertise.

Second, when you submit the Form 982 with your amended return, Part 1, line b should show the amount of cancelled debt you are excluding due to your insolvency.  You can exclude the cancelled debt from income up to the extent of your insolvency.  For example, if your assets total $100,000 and your debts are $125,000, you are insolvent by $25,000 and can exclude up to that amount from taxable cancellation of debt income. IRS Publication 4681 has an insolvency worksheet you can use to determine the extent of your insolvency.

If you submit an amended 1040X with a properly completed Form 982, you should not pay any tax on the COD income to the extent of your insolvency.

Hope this helps.

John Stancil, CPA

Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)

John Stancil, CPA