Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)/Contractor state taxes

Good Afternoon,
My husband is working as a military contractor, therefor he travels state to state. Our home is in NH, no state income taxes, he is currently working in FL, no state income taxes. The company is based in NC. Currently they are taking out NC state taxes. As far as I know, you pay the state taxes in the state you are working and depending where you actually live, you may have to pay state income tax to 2 states. As for our situation we should be paying no state income tax as far as I know. This is the response I recieved when I questioned  the company..

The company that holds the contract is in NC.  Therefore he technically works in NC, although TDY.  At the end of the year, when taxes are filled, it gets washed out.

Anything you can tell me about this situation would be appreciated.
Also, is there a way to get these taxes back when filing in NC next year?

Thanks for your question.

The employer is not correct, but it is not likely you will convince them otherwise.  However, you can file a Form NC-4 EZ. On line 3, check that you are exempt from NC withholding because you expect no tax liability.  Submit this form to the employer.  Should take care of any more withholding.

Hope this helps.

John Stancil, CPA

Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)

John Stancil, CPA

I can answer questions on personal income taxes, partnerships, and some corporate income taxes. I can deal with some state tax questions. Limited gift and estate tax questions. I am also familiar with ministerial and church tax reporting issues. I am Professor Emeritus at Florida Southern College. Sales taxes and property taxes are state and local issues so I am not likely be be able to give you an in depth answer on those types of taxes. I have maintained a CPA practice, specializing in tax, for over 35 years. I am a member of the National Association of Tax Professionals, The Florida Insititute of CPA's, The NCPE Fellowship. In addition I am a Certified Mentor for SCORE. Visit my website at I also offer seminars and consultations to churches and clergy on their tax issues at Also visit my blog, I am listed on Tax Connections at Prepare and file your own taxes at

I hold a doctorate in Accounting, and am a CPA. My certifications of CIA, CFM, and CMA are inactive. I passed all certification examinations on the first attempt, and received honorable mention for my scores on the CIA exam. I have operated a CPA firm for over 37 years and have taught accounting and tax at the college level for over 35 years.

FICPA, NATP, NCPE Fellowship, Lakeland Business Leaders

The CPA Journal, Florida CPA Today, Green Consumer, Green Business, Global Sustainability as a Business Imperative, Palmetto Review, NATP TaxPro Quarterly, Mustang Journal of Finance and Accounting.

DBA University of Memphis MBA University of Georgia BS in Accounting Mars Hill University