Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)/Contractor state taxes

Question
Good Afternoon,
My husband is working as a military contractor, therefor he travels state to state. Our home is in NH, no state income taxes, he is currently working in FL, no state income taxes. The company is based in NC. Currently they are taking out NC state taxes. As far as I know, you pay the state taxes in the state you are working and depending where you actually live, you may have to pay state income tax to 2 states. As for our situation we should be paying no state income tax as far as I know. This is the response I recieved when I questioned  the company..

The company that holds the contract is in NC.  Therefore he technically works in NC, although TDY.  At the end of the year, when taxes are filled, it gets washed out.

Anything you can tell me about this situation would be appreciated.
Also, is there a way to get these taxes back when filing in NC next year?

Susan

Answer
Susan,

Thanks for your question.

The employer is not correct, but it is not likely you will convince them otherwise.  However, you can file a Form NC-4 EZ. On line 3, check that you are exempt from NC withholding because you expect no tax liability.  Submit this form to the employer.  Should take care of any more withholding.

Hope this helps.

John Stancil, CPA

Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)

John Stancil, CPA