Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)/Filing back-taxes


Dear Sir,

I've been living abroad for the past several years and have failed to file taxes. I've filed this year, but to bring my 'account' current with the IRS - as I understand it - I should also file for the past six years. Unfortunately, I don't really know how to go about this. Is there some sort of e-filing software (i.e. Turbotax) that allows you to file for 2009-2012?

Could you possibly address the following queries?

1. What forms need to be filed (I'm a permanent expat and have not resided in the US for more than a decade)?

2. I have real-estate income from the US so I need to file K-1's as well (form 1041) - is there a supplementary form that needs to accompany this?

I do not own any property nor do make any more than $60,000 a year.

Your insight into the matter is greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Dear Tuan,

You are a strong candidate for filing through the Streamlined Foreign Offshore Procedure (aka amnesty program).

You can find the program details at

I would not recommend undertaking such important step on your own. Form 1041 is for tax returns of the trusts. You have to file it only if you are an owner of a non-grantor trust. If you have real estate income than you have to file different forms. It is an important step and doing is the right way is critical to receive full amnesty from the potential IRS penalties for late filing.

I.J.Zemelman, EA

Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


IJ Zemelman, EA MBA


I am an IRS-authorized EA and principal of a Tax Preparation firm focusing on U.S. Expatriates. We specialize in all tax issues faced by American citizens living abroad - such as foreign earned income, tax treaties, foreign spouse, etc. Visit our website - - for more information.


18 years professional tax experience, 12 with expatriate taxes.

Expatriate tax information on

MBA from Zicklin School Of Business, IRS Enrolled Agent

©2017 All rights reserved.