Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)/Final Form 1065 return

Question
Hello John,

I filed a final Form 1065 for LLC for the year ended 12/31/2008.  One of the members never filed a personal return which we are in the process of preparing now.

The LLC began as 2 member NY LLC being taxed as a partnership beginning in 2007.  By the end of 2008 the other member wanted out of the LLC and therefore the partnership ended.  My client has been operating as a single member NY LLC since 2009.

Regarding my client's 2008 Form 1040 and his final K-1.  On Schedule K-1 Add'l Info Part II Disposition of Partnership Interest.  In this situation do we have a fully taxable transaction?  Upon ending the partnership in 2008 and beginning 2009 with all of the assets and liabilities from the partnership.  My client's basis as of 12/31/08 was $22,175. Is the sales price the fmv of the assets and liabilities less his basis determines a gain/loss?

Thank you in advance.

Jeff

Answer
Jeff,

Thanks for your question.

I presume that you are still utilizing the same EIN number. You don't have a taxable transaction, as he did not sell his interest in the business. It is still the same LLC,the only change that occurred is that it is now being taxed as a sole proprietorship instead of a partnership.

However, the fact that you filed the 1065 as a final return may complicate the issue. You should have filed a Form 8832, changing how the entity was to be taxed.

Hope this helps.

John Stancil, CPA

Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)

John Stancil, CPA