Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)/REITs

I started to think about corporations that are spinning off assets, forming REITs, and avoid corporate income taxes. Ultimately, individuals pay ordinary income taxes on distributions from those REITs, right?

What happens when a mutual fund owns interests in REITs. I know that the distributions from a mutual fund are taxable, or maybe not if held in certain retirement accounts. But from the treasury's perspective, do they collect taxes from the mutual funds that receive distributions from their ownership interests in REITs?

this depends. upon what is in the reit.

you go from captive reit (bank moves the branches to a reit and pays rent to an essentially tax free entity and then reports divided income back to bank at less than 100% inclusion. same for franchise restauarnts and on and on

what are you really looking to solve. ?

and on the earlier are they required to hold tax, not if you give them a social security number. no witholding on a basic brokeragae account

Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)

Tax and general business including hospitality related (hotel mgmt degree and experience in industry prior to obtaining ms tax and cpa).

19 years cpa. ms tax. NOTE: My discussions are only a general information and do not constitute tax advise without entering into a specific agreement and executing an engagement letter; This free chat is nothing more than general information and should not be construed as tax advice nor does my response or replies imply an agreement to provide client specific advice or other guidance for purposes of avoiding IRS tax or penalties and should not be relied upon without your own validation and confirmation of the how the discussion may fit your facts... Not having all the facts and/or not having a direct client relationship prevents me from providing the most accurate replies as possible and I highly suggest using a local CPA to provide you with written advice and guidance. Taking matters into your own hands is much akin to trying to land an airplane without a license. It is easy to FLY a plane, but LANDING is when critical experience is key. In short, caveat emptor; do your homework and don't just rely on free chat board advice anywhere, anytime.

AICPA, CSCPA (Ct society), National Tax,

a bunch.

MS tax and other post graduate coursework

variety including Summa Cum Laude

I don't disclose or kiss and tell