Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)/Taxable..???

Question
My self-employed father passed away & he had a business
partner. Small business nothing fancy. The business
partner wants to "buy" me out/settlement. We're
talking around 25k..the question is...is this
taxable ???

Thank YOu

Answer
Alex,

Thanks for your question.

Yes, it is taxable, but you may not have a gain.  When you inherited his portion of the business, your basis in the business is the fair market value of his portion of the business as of the date of death.  If you sell it for more than that, you have a long term capital gain.  If you sell it for less, you would have a deductible capital loss.

You will probably need to engage the services of a business valuation specialist to determine the value.  Alternatively, you do it yourself utilizing some valuation models.  This link has some of the most common models that are utilized.  http://www.collin.edu/sbdc/docs/Business-Valuation-Methods.pdf

Hope this helps.

John Stancil, CPA

Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)

John Stancil, CPA