Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)/taxable income offered to an employee

Question
Company ABC offers a health care insurance plan to all of its full-time employees.  The premiums for the plan are largely paid by the company with some contribution also paid by employees.

Some few full-time employees are over 65 years of age and thus are eligible for Medicare.

Is it legal for the company to offer some "additional" income to the Medicare-eligible employees as an incentive so they would go on Medicare rather than stay on the company sponsored health plan?  It would be understood that the "additional" income would be taxable and included on the employee's W=@ at the end of the year.
Thank you

Answer
Jim,

Thanks for your question.

It can be legal. You cannot force them to go on Medicare instead of the company plan, and you need to be aware of the rules that prohibit you from discriminating between employees in the provision of health care.  You may need to offer the additional income option to all employees.

Hope this helps.

John Stancil, CPA

Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)

John Stancil, CPA