Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)/taxable income offered to an employee

Company ABC offers a health care insurance plan to all of its full-time employees.  The premiums for the plan are largely paid by the company with some contribution also paid by employees.

Some few full-time employees are over 65 years of age and thus are eligible for Medicare.

Is it legal for the company to offer some "additional" income to the Medicare-eligible employees as an incentive so they would go on Medicare rather than stay on the company sponsored health plan?  It would be understood that the "additional" income would be taxable and included on the employee's W=@ at the end of the year.
Thank you

Thanks for your question.

It can be legal. You cannot force them to go on Medicare instead of the company plan, and you need to be aware of the rules that prohibit you from discriminating between employees in the provision of health care.  You may need to offer the additional income option to all employees.

Hope this helps.

John Stancil, CPA

Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)

John Stancil, CPA

I can answer questions on personal income taxes, partnerships, and some corporate income taxes. I can deal with some state tax questions. Limited gift and estate tax questions. I am also familiar with ministerial and church tax reporting issues. I am Professor Emeritus at Florida Southern College. Sales taxes and property taxes are state and local issues so I am not likely be be able to give you an in depth answer on those types of taxes. I have maintained a CPA practice, specializing in tax, for over 35 years. I am a member of the National Association of Tax Professionals, The Florida Insititute of CPA's, The NCPE Fellowship. In addition I am a Certified Mentor for SCORE. Visit my website at I also offer seminars and consultations to churches and clergy on their tax issues at Also visit my blog, I am listed on Tax Connections at Prepare and file your own taxes at

I hold a doctorate in Accounting, and am a CPA. My certifications of CIA, CFM, and CMA are inactive. I passed all certification examinations on the first attempt, and received honorable mention for my scores on the CIA exam. I have operated a CPA firm for over 37 years and have taught accounting and tax at the college level for over 35 years.

FICPA, NATP, NCPE Fellowship, Lakeland Business Leaders

The CPA Journal, Florida CPA Today, Green Consumer, Green Business, Global Sustainability as a Business Imperative, Palmetto Review, NATP TaxPro Quarterly, Mustang Journal of Finance and Accounting.

DBA University of Memphis MBA University of Georgia BS in Accounting Mars Hill University