Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)/Filing Late/Amending Tax Returns

Question
My question relates to filing a tax return for a year where there was a net operating loss (and no tax due to the IRS nor a refund due to me from the IRS). I was self employed with no other income in 2011. I timely filed an extension for tax year 2011 but never filed the return. Is there a deadline for filing a return for 2011? Additionally, is there a deadline for amending the 2011 return after it is filed? Thanks.

Answer
15th day of the year after close is original due, add extension of 6 months and it was originally due oct 15, 2012.

IF you had any payments paid in, they are "lost" after 3 years (refund opportunity goes away).  but you could have carried back the loss and gotten a refund.

you should file to preserve any chance of benefit from the nOL. did you file 2012 and 2013?

you will have to file soon (April 15, 2015) to claim the refund and to elect to carry it forward (i dont think the carry back 2 years is automatic and can still be elected).

Id be happy to help if you want.  let me know

P

Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)

MEdusa