Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)/Moving expense deduction

Question
I work full time at a private university in FL. From September through November I took a Leave of Absence from work there to do freelance/contract work in Pennsylvania. During that time I ended up needing surgery and extended that leave as a medical leave (at least by my employer these are considered 2 separate leaves). I was paid for sick and vacation time during part of the initial leave (until it ran out). Am I allowed to deduct the moving expenses for the move up, the move back, both or neither? During the move I did give up my residence in Florida but didn't change my drivers license, etc.

Probably a lot of needless info in here, but better safe than sorry. Thanks for any help :)

Answer
Eric,

Thanks for your question.

No moving expenses are deductible.  First, you did not leave your old job, but merely took a leave of absence.  Second, you maintained your FL residence as evidenced by keeping your Florida driver's license and similar items. Finally, your period of work in the "new position" does not equal 39 weeks (78 weeks if self-employed) which would disallow a moving expense deduction.   

Hope this helps.

John Stancil, CPA

Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)

John Stancil, CPA