Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)/Cell Phone Tower on Church Property

Question
Mr. Stancil,

Our local church is considering allowing a telephone company to place a cell phone tower on church property for the purpose of receiving a monthly income.  One of the main concerns is 'Would this income affect the  church's  exempt status and/or create some type of required tax payment?'

Thanks for your help.............Billy

Answer
Billy,

Thanks for your question.

While this is an issue that has many variables to it, this will definitely not affect your tax exempt status. It could create unrelated business income, which would be taxable at corporate rates.

To avoid the tax, there are several exceptions.  First, if the net income from the rental is under $1,000 it is not taxable.

Second, it also depends on how it is structured.  If you are renting real estate and not the town itself, you are engaged in a rental activity of real property and are not subject to the tax. If you own the tower, it is the rental of personal property and would be taxable.

Third, there is an exception to the exception.  If the property is debt-financed, there must be an apportionment of the total property to the rented property and some income tax would be due.

Fourth, I can't address this specifically, as local and state laws vary considerably, but the portion of the property that is rented out may no longer be exempt from local property taxes.

Finally, be sure to have your attorney review the lease agreement, and perhaps even a competent tax accountant familiar with unrelated business income tax issues.

Hope this helps.

John Stancil, CPA

Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)

John Stancil, CPA