Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)/Innocent Spouse relief

Question
I have filled form 8857 for Innocent Spouse relief, Since June 2014. Haven't gotten any response yet.
IRS audited us for tax-year 2010 to 2012.
My ex-husband forged my signature on tax returns even forged my signature on the power-of-attorney form he gave for audit.
I am new in this country (Came in 2010) and even I was not in the U.S. entire 2010, only few months.
Now I am separated, working legally in the US and filed for tax-year 2013 individually. I just read on the IRS site that "forging of signature" does not fall under Innocent Spouse and I would like know which other process/form I need to fill out to resolve this issue.

Answer
Mandana,

Thanks for your question.

Under the law, a forged signature is not a voluntary signature. So, you actually have not filed a return for that year. You will have to show the IRS that the signature on the return is not yours. In most cases you can get a copy of your return from the IRS. Go to http://www.irs.gov/Individuals/Copies-of-Prior-Year-Federal-Tax-Returns-and-or-a to get a copy of your return.

You may have to file another return as married filing separately.Depending on your income, you may not owe any taxes at all.

Hope this helps.

John Stancil, CPA

Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)

John Stancil, CPA