Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)/Innocent Spouse relief


I have filled form 8857 for Innocent Spouse relief, Since June 2014. Haven't gotten any response yet.
IRS audited us for tax-year 2010 to 2012.
My ex-husband forged my signature on tax returns even forged my signature on the power-of-attorney form he gave for audit.
I am new in this country (Came in 2010) and even I was not in the U.S. entire 2010, only few months.
Now I am separated, working legally in the US and filed for tax-year 2013 individually. I just read on the IRS site that "forging of signature" does not fall under Innocent Spouse and I would like know which other process/form I need to fill out to resolve this issue.


Thanks for your question.

Under the law, a forged signature is not a voluntary signature. So, you actually have not filed a return for that year. You will have to show the IRS that the signature on the return is not yours. In most cases you can get a copy of your return from the IRS. Go to to get a copy of your return.

You may have to file another return as married filing separately.Depending on your income, you may not owe any taxes at all.

Hope this helps.

John Stancil, CPA

Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


John Stancil, CPA


I can answer questions on personal income taxes, partnerships, and some corporate income taxes. I can deal with some state tax questions. Limited gift and estate tax questions. I am also familiar with ministerial and church tax reporting issues. I am Professor Emeritus at Florida Southern College. Sales taxes and property taxes are state and local issues so I am not likely be be able to give you an in depth answer on those types of taxes. I have maintained a CPA practice, specializing in tax, for over 35 years. I am a member of the National Association of Tax Professionals, The Florida Insititute of CPA's, The NCPE Fellowship. In addition I am a Certified Mentor for SCORE. Visit my website at I also offer seminars and consultations to churches and clergy on their tax issues at Also visit my blog, I am listed on Tax Connections at Prepare and file your own taxes at


I hold a doctorate in Accounting, and am a CPA. My certifications of CIA, CFM, and CMA are inactive. I passed all certification examinations on the first attempt, and received honorable mention for my scores on the CIA exam. I have operated a CPA firm for over 37 years and have taught accounting and tax at the college level for over 35 years.

FICPA, NATP, NCPE Fellowship, Lakeland Business Leaders

The CPA Journal, Florida CPA Today, Green Consumer, Green Business, Global Sustainability as a Business Imperative, Palmetto Review, NATP TaxPro Quarterly, Mustang Journal of Finance and Accounting.

DBA University of Memphis MBA University of Georgia BS in Accounting Mars Hill University

©2017 All rights reserved.