Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)/Inventory

Question
I am starting a new business (Selling Antiques).  I have antiques that I have purchased over the years that I will be selling from my antique store.  How do I handle this for income tax purposes.  Do I include them in my business inventory?  If so, do I show them as purchases for this year, and do I put them in at cost.  If I sold them at a gain outside my business, I understand it would be a capital gain, but ordinary income if sold through my business.  Is this correct and what is the best way to handle this.

Answer
they go in at current fmv.

then any income above current fmv is income to the business but it is part of your basis and calculations when you take money out (are you doing this as a corp or llc or just as a schedule c on your 1040 ?)

how much stuff are you "contributing" to your new businesss?

Ps. keep impeccable records.  state sales tax and IRS love to audit antique dealers.  (amount of cash transactions, payment fuzziness, etc)

what is your area of specialty?  I love antiques.  what state are you from?  

Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)

MEdusa