Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)/Owner financing & capital gains

I have owned a piece of unimproved property since 2007. I plan to sell this property in order to reinvest the money into the purchase of a primary residence. The prospective purchaser is interested in having me finance the property for him (owner financing). It is my understanding that capital gains taxes can be avoided if money from the sell of property is reinvested in another property. How will owner financing impact capital gains tax in this instance?  Also, will interest income earned through the owner financing be taxed as ordinary income?

I am presently in the process of purchasing my new primary residence and will be placing my old home on the market for sell in early 2015. Proceeds from my old home will also be reinvested in my new primary residence. I am a resident of Virginia and all properties are located in Virginia.

Thank you in advance for any insight you can provide.

you cant exchange and sell on your own.  to avoid tax you need an intermediary (called a 1031 exchange - google it)  and you cant buy personal residence on the other side (have to be like kind property = same type).

you will defer gain under the installment process.  recognizing as you get paid.  pro rata.  and yes, interest is taxable as ordinary income.

so, unimproved property is just sold at a gain.  period.

you can exclude up to 250k (double if married) on the sale of old residence - regardless if you roll into new property or not (old rule which required roll over changed to 250k allowance about 15-20 years ago).

if it was your principal residence for 2 of last 5 years. and some other rules, but generally easy to meet if you lived there as your home.

you need a cpa ... want more help?  want me to do your 2014 taxes?

Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)

Tax and general business including hospitality related (hotel mgmt degree and experience in industry prior to obtaining ms tax and cpa).

19 years cpa. ms tax. NOTE: My discussions are only a general information and do not constitute tax advise without entering into a specific agreement and executing an engagement letter; This free chat is nothing more than general information and should not be construed as tax advice nor does my response or replies imply an agreement to provide client specific advice or other guidance for purposes of avoiding IRS tax or penalties and should not be relied upon without your own validation and confirmation of the how the discussion may fit your facts... Not having all the facts and/or not having a direct client relationship prevents me from providing the most accurate replies as possible and I highly suggest using a local CPA to provide you with written advice and guidance. Taking matters into your own hands is much akin to trying to land an airplane without a license. It is easy to FLY a plane, but LANDING is when critical experience is key. In short, caveat emptor; do your homework and don't just rely on free chat board advice anywhere, anytime.

AICPA, CSCPA (Ct society), National Tax,

a bunch.

MS tax and other post graduate coursework

variety including Summa Cum Laude

I don't disclose or kiss and tell