Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)/Real estate contract expenses from bad deal

Question
QUESTION: Hello,

My partners and I have an LLC in Washington.  We attempted to purchase a parcel, investing $18k in research and surveys, then the Seller no-shows at signing and walks on the deal.  He leaves us with about $18k in expenses from both the Feasibility Period and other expenses related to closing the deal.  

Our LLC doesn't have a business license yet as we have not conducted business yet, we are a brand new LLC for this year started to purchase the commercial land enroute to becoming a Leaser of property later next year.

Can we deduct our losses from this deal out of our individual tax returns?  And if so, since there are three of us, would it be equally split ($6k) or as the percentage listed on the operating agreement?

thanks!

ANSWER: Did the LLC actually write the checks? If so then the LLC would declare it on their 1065 informational return, and attribute the business expense to the owners. LLC's do not "have" to distribute equal to ownership interests.

QUESTION: Yes, the LLC did.  I asked about the equal split in order to correctly fill out the K-1 forms.

Thaanks.

Answer
Does not have to, but can equally attribute to the 3 owners, or if the owners don't have equal ownership, could attribute as per their ownership percentage, or not. . .

Do all the owners have the same potential to use the loss? or will some of that loss be "lost" because someone doesn't have an offsetting business income profit?

Richard

Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)

Richard Fritzler