Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)/Roth IRA

Question
Hello,

You recently posted a question to WILLIAM D MCCONNAUGHY, CPA in category Tax Law (Questions About Taxes):

Hello John,

I recently started hearing about Roth IRA's so decided to put maximum $5,500 into one at my credit union yesterday for 2014 from my savings account. Do I have to claim that on my 1040A ?? Can I put another $5,000 in come January 1st for 2015? Makes way more money than sitting in my savings account . Also, I have a daughter who started college in September 2014. What can I use for deductions on my 1040A???

Thanks,
Mike

Answer
Mike,

You can make the maximum contribution to a Roth or Traditional IRA each year, not to exceed the current limit for all IRA's.  With a Roth, you do not get a current deduction, so it is not a part of your 1040 each year.

Tuition and some fees may be taken as either the Lifetime Learning Credit or the American Opportunity Tax Credit if you meet the criteria.  You would have to complete Form 8863 and attach it to your 1040A.

Hope this helps.

John Stancil, CPA

Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)

John Stancil, CPA