Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)/1099 Other Income

Question
If a client receives a 1099 with box 3 other income filled in, would it be subject to self-employment tax? The client does not have a trade or business but every year receives this 1099 income for "referring" clients to a certain business. To me, since it is a recurring thing, it would be subject to SE tax? Thank you for your time!

Answer
Pam,

Thanks for your question.

That is most properly recorded as a box 7 item. I would treat it as Schedule C income, subject to  SE tax.  The IRS states in the instructions that if it is trade or business income it goes on Schedule C, if it is recurring, it would meet that requirement.

Hope this helps.

John Stancil, CPA

Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)

John Stancil, CPA