Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)/Amended return - error didn't affect taxes owed

Question
I made an error on the 2012 Capital Loss Carryover Worksheet.  It didn't affect the taxes owed for the year since I was limited to $3000 (on Schedule D line 21), but with my error, I showed about ($17300) on Schedule D line 21 when it should have been about ($19400), affecting the correct amount of loss carried forward for me to take advantage of in future years.  How do I go about correcting this?  Do I complete a 1040X, or is there a way to just submit the corrected Schedule D?  I don't expect that any of the figures on the 1040X will be any different from the original return, only the numbers on the Schedule D will change.  If I do need to submit a the 1040X, I know I will need to submit the corrected Schedule D, but do I need to include the (unchanged) Schedule B also?

Answer
Joan,

Thanks for your question.

Just to be on the safe side, I would file an amended return, attaching a correct Schedule D.  In the explanation on the 1040X simply state that the loss carryover was incorrectly stated and the amended return does not affect the tax liability for 2012.

Hope this helps.

John Stancil, CPA

Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)

John Stancil, CPA