Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)/Called Municipal Bonds

Question
Two different tax-free municipal bonds I owned were called before maturity in 2013.

Bond #1 - Bought in secondary market in Oct 2007 at premium of 100.563, with maturity date of Aug 2018.  Called in Aug 2013 at price of 101.  By Aug 2013, amortization of bond premium to maturity had lowered basis from 100.563 to 100.298.  Do I have a taxable long-term gain of 0.702 per bond (101 - 100.298)?

Bond #2 -  Bought in secondary market in Feb 2008 at premium of 105.330, with maturity date of Mar 2019.  Called in Mar 2013 at price of 100.  By Mar 2013, amortization of bond premium to maturity had lowered basis from 105.330 to 102.999.  Do I have a taxable long-term loss of 2.999 per bond (100 - 102.999)?

I have found conflicting advice on the internet that (1) both transactions caused a taxable gain/loss, or (2) neither transaction caused a taxable gain/loss, or (3) call of Bond #1 caused a taxable gain, but call of bond #2 did NOT cause a taxable loss.

Please advise.

Answer
Martin,

Thanks for your question.

Assuming that the bonds are not tax free bonds, you can take the gain and the loss on each respective bond.

If one or both is a tax free bond, you have a taxable gain but a non-deductible loss, as the case may be.

Hope this helps.

John Stancil, CPA

Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)

John Stancil, CPA