Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)/capital gains

Question
My deceased husband built our house over 3 years time, mostly from savings and out of pocket. We had a market analysis done when it was completed, but other than that I have no cost basis to use for tax purposes when I sell. Is there a way to determine how to handle this with taxes? Do I have to use $0 and end up paying a huge amount of capital gains? I can only guess as to how much it cost us to build.

Answer
Marie,

Thanks for your question.

First, your basis is NOT the value upon completion, but your cost - the cost of materials, etc.  You cannot include the value of your husband's labor in your cost basis.  The only thing I can tell you in this regard is to try and reconstruct the records and come up with a reasonable estimate.

However, you may not need to do that.  If you have lived in the house for at least 24 of the past 60 months as your primary residence and owned the house for 24 of the past 60 months, you can sell the house and exclude up to $250,000 of gain on the sale.  If the gain is under this amount, you do not even have to report it on your return.

Hope this helps.

John Stancil, CPA  

Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)

John Stancil, CPA