Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)/Carryover

Question
John
More carryover questions.
Consider a $50K carryover remaining from an originally much larger non-capital donation that is now in it's fifth and final utilizable year. Again, a $100K AGI, which will just allow the $50K to finish up the forward carried deduction. Suppose, however, that I have also made a $10K cash donation during the year. Ordinarily, on Schedule A, line 16, I would enter the $10K, and then, on line 18, enter any carryover, UP TO $40K, limited by needing the sum of 16 and 18 to not exceed $50K on line 19. But  this would leave me with $10K unused carryover, for which additional carryover time has run out. So, must I forfeit the $10K residual carryover, or is there a way to carryover the $10K CASH donation, and be able to fully utilize the original donation's $50K?
I apologize for terribly awkward phrasing.
Thanks for your help.
DBRJ

Answer
Dave,

The ordering rules state that you first deduct the current year's contributions, then apply any carryover.  So, in the sceanario you give you would lose the 10K that is a part of the carryforward.

About the only thing you could do would be do defer the $10K amount until the start of the year after you use up all the previous amounts (or get more income :-)).

Hope this helps.

John Stancil, CPA  

Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)

John Stancil, CPA